Your kitchen is the space for several important daily household activities, including cooking and eating. As such, it needs proper care and attention so it can stay in excellent condition.
One of the best ways to do that is to let a home improvement contractor renovate the room when necessary. This will not only enhance your daily experience but also offer a good return on investment.
Here are seven updates to consider to boost your kitchen’s aesthetic appeal and overall functioning.
1. Install or replace hardware
New hardware can instantly improve the look of any kitchen feature, such as your kitchen cabinets. So consider installing or replacing the cabinet and drawer pulls for a refreshed look that will beautify the entire space.
2. Add a backsplash
A backsplash covers the area of the wall between the cabinets and the counter. Primarily, it is designed to protect the wall from splattering oil and food particles. But on top of that, the backsplash will also help boost the room’s aesthetics and make it more enticing. That’s because this provides you an opportunity to add color to your space.
You can add a kitchen backsplash without even disrupting the functionality of the kitchen. Today, tiles are the material of choice for this upgrade because they are easy to install and maintain. Make sure to opt for a color that complements your home.
3. Change the lighting
Pendants and chandeliers are some of the best lighting options for brightening up the room and changing the mood. You can mix this up with standard lights to give the space some personality and different level of brightness.
Using LED lights is a great option these days. Not only will this lower your energy bills, but this is also good for the environment. LEDs may have a higher upfront cost, but these can last longer than the traditional lighting options. This means that you don’t need to replace them often, which then translates to long-term savings.
4. Hang up some artwork
Pieces of artwork can elevate the look and feel of any room, including your kitchen. So don’t hesitate to put up some of your favorite artwork all around the kitchen. You can go big and bold by adding a large framed print to the wall, or place a small and quirky handmade crafts project (perhaps, created by your kids using different cooking or baking tools) on a highly visible spot on the counter.
The best thing about this is that you can change it up whenever you want to.
5. Position the windows strategically
The position of your windows is crucial when renovating your kitchen. Since you and your family will be spending plenty of time in this room, it should feel inviting and comfortable. Through proper window placement, it can be transformed into a welcoming space.
Here are some tips to consider when planning the placement of your kitchen windows:
- Position the window higher if your kitchen is facing the street for more privacy. But if the line of sight is not an issue, you can opt for a long window to let the natural light in and open up space.
- Add an operable window for ventilation. This proves to be beneficial during summer or spring because it lets the fresh breeze in.
- Install fixed windows only for unobstructed viewing. Position these in areas where they won’t be obstructed by decorative pieces or furniture.
- It is inconvenient and unsafe to install windows above cooking surfaces.
6. Be clever with storage
Storage solutions are crucial in any kitchen because this room contains a large number of appliances, utensils, ingredients and all kinds of supplies. So you will need a considerable amount of storage space to ensure that everything has a rightful and easily accessible place.
Here are some clever storage ideas you can try:
- Open shelving – Open shelves are a hot trend these days. It allows you to showcase your collection of dishes and other kitchen essentials. Also, it helps to open up a cramped space.
- Wall hangers – These will keep your mops, brooms, and dustpans organized so they won’t take over your kitchen’s utility closet.
- Rails – Installing a rail in the wall will provide you with space where you can hang pots and their lids, kitchen utensils, and more. This is also an excellent place to dry your dish towels and hang your oven mitts.
7. Integrate comfortable seating
Depending on the size and layout of your kitchen, you do have several seating options to choose from. These include comfortable armchairs, banquet seating, raised stools, and benches. You can mix and match these seating options and arrange them around your kitchen island or in any extra space in the room.
The key here is to create a comfortable place for people to sit down while eating, preparing dishes, cooking or entertaining guests.
Your kitchen must be properly maintained to remain functional yet also beautiful to behold (especially if you are thinking of selling your property soon). So if you think it needs a facelift, consider these seven remodeling tips to achieve a kitchen that suits your needs and style.
Bill Fannin started Post & Beam 27 years ago as a small construction company and, in 2004, decided to specialize in design/build. Since then, he has grown the company into a very reputable Design/Build Firm. You can find Bill in the office helping with estimates, consulting clients, and even on the job helping the carpenters. Bill is a Certified Graduate Remodeler and Certified Green Professional.